Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Learning Two

In the third or fourth grade I had a teacher that I disliked. In fact, I developed a hatred for her! She taught me English. She taught me if I wanted to learn or not!
Back then, each student was supposed to learn the “Palmer Method” of writing. It was a form of writing using ovals and lines that was supposed to make one a better writer. For me it just did not work! It taught me how to hold my pen, but nothing else! One day, about halfme to stay after school. She told me to sit at a desk just in front of her table!
With tears in her eyes, she told me that she never befo-way through the school year, my teacher pointed her ruler at me and told re had to give up on one of her students, but that she was giving up on me! She told me that she didn’t think that I would ever learn to write long-hand that could be read by others! Then, she told me that I should learn to PRINT! And, then she told me to go home!
The very next day, she again pointed that ruler at me and again told me to stay after school! This time she told me that even though she had given up on my hand writing, she had not given up on me speaking properly! In fact she said; if I did not learn proper English “we both would die trying!” All the while she talked she kept slapping the palm of her hand with that dreaded ruler! And, I was scared to death of that ruler!
Looking back today, I think she was one of my best teachers! She had learned to walk that fine line between love and fear! Although I can’t remember her name, I feel she and my Grandma were the two with the most effect on my early life! And, I can still remember the sting of that ruler on the back of my hand!!!
My guess would be that we only use a small percentage of what we learn, but you can’t use what you don’t have! I also feel it important to learn things that are considered impractical today, because they are the things that can change our today’s dreams into tomorrow’s reality. Only that last breath puts a limit on our learning!
I’m always surprised at how many times I refer to things I learned decades ago, when I write these essays. To those of the past who took the time to teach me to think and learn, I give you my warmest thank you!
Much of my school life, I looked upon my education as a group of teachers propagandizing captive people in a closed room. I now realize that, as I live each day, each of those teachers who took time to teach me is also living it with me.
I feel so sorry for all the kids that drop out of school today. Many will never have the chance to feel the excitement of learning all of those new things that I feel each day!
For me, life is the need to always have something to pursue! I thank those before me that taught me to ask questions. I’ve learned; what you get out of life, depends on what you bring to it!
P.S. every word in this essay was first printed by hand as per that third or fourth grade teacher!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment