Friday, October 8, 2010

Segregation

Do we segregate ourselves and then refuse to accept our responsibility for it and blame everyone else? For some reason we humans can always find someone else to fault even though we know in our hearts that the blame is all ours.
How can we preach and expect equality and then speak, dress and act differently? How can we expect others to respect us if we use terms like: those people-the other ones-or just them? Not long ago I was called a “honkie” by folks that are insulted by the use of the ”n” word. I guess they didn’t realize that word is as much of an insult to me.
I have heard those hate words used in music, by people of color themselves, and the words made me wonder if the users had any respect for themselves or others or were they just out to make a dollar.
My own small fight against segregation started over seventy years ago. At that time I was a Boy Scout and I had a friend named Bill in my troupe. Bill’s skin was a little darker than mine but he was my friend and it made no difference to me.
We went on an overnight camping trip and had to sleep in two man tents. As we were choosing our tents I was shocked that no one would share a tent with Bill, I quickly volunteered.
During the night several bullies (yes even in the scouts there were bullies) kicked over our tent, called us names and beat us up. I used my handkerchief to blot up both Bill and my blood. The next morning, in daylight, when I looked at my handkerchief I noticed all the blood looked the same. I could not find a color difference between his blood and mine. That was the day I realized it was wrong to choose your friends by their outside color. I had learned that Inside we all looked the same.
When Obama was elected president I thought this would be a giant step towards equality of the races. So far many of the politicians have not let this happen.
One of my greatest disappointments has always been the different races segregating themselves. They call themselves: Latin Americans-Cuban Americans-Mexican Americans-African Americans- Asian Americans! Whenever people hang these names around their own necks they are doing nothing more than encouraging their own segregation.
Today, while listening to some speeches from the Mall in Washington, I learned about another type of segregation. I heard speakers say; “our kind of people” then “they are not really our kind”. What kind do they really feel they are? Are they pussy-cats, cocker-spaniels or are they pit-bulls? I guess I missed that part but I’m sure they were trying to politically segregate themselves.
I could call myself a European American but I would consider this or any other label an insult to my country AMERICA. To me it implies a partial allegiance to someplace else! I’m sorry but I just don’t feel comfortable with another name before MY COUNTRY’S name.
If our president would just ask the press and ALL others to stop putting a prefix before American when they refer to him, I’m sure it would get others to open their eyes and realize they too, were only segregating themselves.
Let’s try to create a greater respect for ourselves and stop encouraging others that are pulling us and our country down.
A true musician-artist-writer or friend has no need for shock value to make a point. All that is needed is for each to truly open their hearts, show pride in themselves and their country. Segregation
is only what you and I make it and if we don’t stop it, who will?
Before you sit back and feel superior, think about this: you had no choice in who you were going to be. That choice was God’s choice. You could have been born that very person you look down your nose at today! We all were God’s choice. Each of us is “a child of God”.

Carol Livingstone, a friend from from P.E.I. Canada, just sent me this thought that I’m going to share with you; Before you say an unkind word. Think of someone that can’t speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment