Tuesday, June 7, 2011

They Don't Walk My Way

If the rest of the world would just think and walk the way I do, what a wonderful place this world would be. But, they don’t! Maybe I should change that last part to; what a boring place this world would be. Our God sure knew what He was doing when He created us. He made each of us as different as our fingerprints!
Many lives have been ruined by people trying to change others into the person they would like them to be. Before we try to make changes in others we should first think how hard it is to change our image of ourself into the one who we would like to be!
I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve heard parents say; they don’t know what is the matter with their kids. They’re not like them at all! Of course they’re not! God gave them the power to think for themselves! And, that’s just what they are doing!
I’ve also lost count of the times my Grandma and my Mother would first look at me and then say “Bob what on earth were you thinking?” Now, let us look at your kids or grand kids and didn’t you wonder the same thing?
I pride myself in doing things “my way.” And, I resent it when others try to change me! Could others feel the same way? Others may want to, or think they can, look into the thinking parts of our brains but they are still a long way from understanding how it works and how to change our thinking process.
We pay doctors large sums of money to try to analyze and maybe even change our way of thinking but at best all those doctors can do is express their opinions. And, as we know those opinions are subject to change! They can prescribe all kinds of expensive drugs that, also at their best, last until the next new one comes out. Much has been spent on those “mind altering drugs” but it seems to me that there is still a lot to learn.
Millions of dollars has been spent on advertising with the hopes those dollars can create a desire or need. Actually the purposes of each add is to “brainwash” the person reading it! The only reason it is there for you to read is to sell stuff!
Our kids have been bombarded with those high-tech ads from birth. They have been taught to move faster, that a drive-in meal is better than a sit-down meal with their family, that everything is better if it is supersized, that a best friend can live a half world away, and they have been taught to do things differently than US! I’m sure they would like to change us into thinking more like them. But they can’t! We do things “our way”, they do things “their way!” Isn’t that the way God created us in the first place? Do I really want the entire world to think and walk “my way?” I guess not!
I find many of us so set in “our ways” that it is hard to imagine there could be other ways to reach that same goal. Years ago I had a famous teacher tell me there were two ways to reach a goal. There was his way and the wrong way! How many are looking at today’s world but still looking through the same narrow vision glasses he was wearing that day?
Every second our world changes! Many try to keep it like we remember it “back then.” Back in “the good old days” but the younger generation doesn’t have our “good old days” to fall back on or hide in.
We must give others a chance to stumble and fall a time or two. Wasn’t that a part of our learning? Didn’t we learn with each fall how to pick ourselves up?
In prayer we told Him; His Will would be done. His will could be different for me than it is for you! Ask yourself; are you trying to advise or control? There is a fine line between the two but a world of difference! And, we must remember that choice is theirs not ours!

No comments:

Post a Comment